Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Chocolate Factory in Joplin, MO




OK, today’s family free-bee was not only fun, it was delicious. Our family decided to stop today in Joplin, Missouri and take a free tour of The Chocolate Factory. I have to say that I was impressed with more than just the tour. It seems that the company usually only gives tours at 10:30 am and 1:30 pm, but we showed up about 2:40 pm, unknowing that we had missed the tours for the day. Not only did they go ahead and give us the candy tour, but we were shown around by none other than the owner of the store.Now, the tour was great. I never knew how much went into making chocolate candies. They had all the huge copper pots that I expected to see, and they even used the conveyor belt system that Lucy and Ethel made famous in the old I Love Lucy episode. (We were informed by one of the ladies that work there that they didn’t get the belt moving quite that fast.) They showed us the entire process.



We even learned that they have a metal detector that all the ingredients have to go through before they can be sold. Rest assured that no chocolate or candy from this store will contain even a trace of any metal.After seeing and smelling row upon row of fine candies, we came to the end of our tour.


My sons were pretty excited that they got to keep their little hair nets, but little did they know that the best was yet to come. It seems the tour ends with a special treat of chocolate dipped cookies for all. The boys gave the whole experience 5 yummy thumbs up. My husband and I purchased our own chocolate favorites. He devoured a bag of chocolate covered peanuts while I savored the most amazing turtles I have ever eaten. That part wasn’t free, but I think it was worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...